Would you like to work as a personal trainer or instructor of group exercises? Several important changes occurred to the Sports Act within the last two years. How have they affected entrepreneurship of trainers and instructors of group exercises – lately called sports professionals? In cooperation with the Business Sector Monitoring department, we have prepared a transparent handbook for you about entrepreneurship of sports professionals to be found on their web page.
1. Who does belong among sports professionals?
A relatively new term, which has covered occupations belonging formerly under the trade licence for performing specialized activities in the field of physical culture within the last two years and which is specified in Section 6 of Sports Act as follows:
- sports trainers and instructors
- natural persons performing professional activities in sports upon the professional competence obtained in accordance with special regulations or defined upon regulations of a sports association
- natural persons performing professional activities in sports, for which professional competence is not required in compliance with competition rules and regulations of a sports association
- inspectors or officers of a sports organization
- doping control officers
If you found yourself in any of this occupations, Section 6 (3) of Sports Act would have arranged several possibilities of how to perform them:
- as an enterprise
- upon a contract for performing activities of sports professionals
- upon an employment or similar relation
- as a voluntary worker (upon a contract for a voluntary work, when compensation for the time spent by such voluntary worker in the maximum sum of the minimum hourly rate is not wage but other income relieved of income tax in the total sum of EUR 500 for the whole tax period, i.e. one year)
- without any contract (i.e. without claiming any compensation)
Licence to perform activities of sports professionals as a business
If you meet requirements of the definition of a sports professional, still you may not start your sports business unless you have obtained a licence; to obtain it, you have to fill up:
- the application for registration in the list of sports professionals in the form of an electronic form and to submit other documents (certificate of professional competence – such as a photocopy of your diploma + statutory declaration of impeccability). A detailed procedure of how to fill up the electronic form can be found on the Ministry’s web page www.ziadosti-sport.iedu.sk.
- the application for registration of your business licence – i.e. submitting the data under Section 6 (4) of Sports Act. The application for registration of your business licence may also be filed through the district office acting as the point of single contact or sent to the respective address of the Ministry. A detailed procedure of how to fill up the Excel form can be found at the Ministry’s website.